Saturday, 5 January 2013

Seven Do Christmas (and New Year)

So how did Christmas go in our household?
First up we all got sick in the weeks before. Leila started straight after her school disco party and ended up missing the rest of the week off school, including her Christmas Dinner, Christmas party and a trip to visit Santa at the farm. Lucy managed to stay well until the last day and only missed her Carol Concert. Joseph made it to his Christmas party but missed the last two days at school (which meant absolutely no FREE time for me to finish off any Christmas shopping and preparations) Of course I was poorly throughout. I kept plodding on the best I could but I was going to bed with the kids in the evening and getting very little done throughout the day because I felt so bad. Dad was poorly too and so were Big brother and sister, but they seemed to recover pretty quickly and were not as bad as the rest of us.
Me and the girls managed a trip to the theatre to see the Gruffalo's Child on the day before Christmas Eve. I was feeling dreadful but we still had a good time, the girls loved the show (And so did I)
Then Christmas day suddenly arrived. I really could have done with it being a week later, but sick or not I was still fully prepared. (What would I have done in the days before internet shopping/home delivery?)
I was awake at 6am but not anyone else!! The girls finally stirred about 7am so I woke everyone else up too. And we all got up except big sis. The present opening frenzy began, thank goodness for Santa, hey, I don't know if mummy could have provided so many lovely wrapped presents.
The girls and Joseph were totally thrilled with their presents, really excited but also just happy, not stressing out or anxiousness or arguing, they were lovely. The big kids were fairly happy with their presents, they did get what they wanted after all, (just not many surprises) My presents were not good, but I was too sick to feel disappointed. I much more of a giver than a receiver anyway so I won't complain.
So on to dinner! I'd got everything prepped and ready by late morning and the turkey was in the oven. But! The big kids did not want a Christmas lunch, the earliest they would go for was 5pm. At first I was frustrated, I wanted it earlier, get it out of the way and chill for the evening. However, it worked out well though because I could take things easy and I wasn't on my feet all day in the kitchen.
I really expected at least one meltdown or argument during the day but it all went really well. Big son (Aspie) was brilliant with his little sister (ASD) they are so on the same wavelength. He kept her happy and occupied all day, helping her out all the time so she didn't get frustrated (i.e. opening boxes, setting up toys) He even played a Barbie board game with the girls. The Little Man was really happy with his new toys and played peacefully all day. Dad spent a lot of time at his mum's house (neighbour) but he also helped out a lot so I'm not going to complain.
Dinner was really yum. I made no exceptions, everyone had the same, even Lucy who has a limited diet and refuses to try anything new. Most plates were empty afterwards (apart from Lucy but she did try) Leila discovered she loved sprouts :-) She definitely is her mother's daughter! And Big Sis made no complaints either, and trust me, she HAS to complain about everything on her plate usually.
So that was our Christmas day.
On to New Years Eve. We hadn't planned anything but the usual routine is that I make a buffet style dinner and we have a few drinks before scoffing loads of cheese and biscuits and other treats. We had to pop to the supermarket and I suggested to Dad that we could invite a couple of people over if I bought a little more buffet food. We made a couple of phone calls but it was a bit late in the day and the  'no' replies were expected. Then we had call backs saying ok they'd be up later.
I still wasn't feeling well but I just didn't care any more, I wanted a drink and some fun. So that's what I did. Family and friends arrived and we all had a lovely evening. Leila and Joseph decided they'd had enough about 10pm and went to bed like little angels. Lucy stayed up until midnight and saw in the New Year with us. We always finish the evening by going outside with the neighbours and viewing the fireworks.
And New Years Day? I felt better than I had done in weeks, no hangover, no illness, nothing!

Happy New Year xx

No comments:

Post a Comment