Friday 30 March 2012

Autism Awareness

Baby no 1 was a difficult baby, but he met all his milestones and was very clever, so I pushed his differences aside and buried my head in the sand. His teachers at primary school suggested I sought help, but I just couldn't accept that things were not right. Finally things got really bad and I had to accept help. The diagnosis was Aspergers Syndrome. Baby no 1 is a grown man now but still at home and still very much in need of his mother.
Baby no 3 was a much wanted and waited for baby (16 years of waiting) and from very early on I noticed how much like her big brother she was. I kept it to myself. I'd learnt my lesson, I wasn't going to hide from it, but I still needed someone else to point it out first so I could prove it wasn't all 'in my head'
When that day came (at nursery) I wasn't surprised, but I was dismayed to be right.
I accepted her differences and allowed others to give me advice and help, and so far things seem to be working. Her school is great, she has a great psychologist and she is mostly happy. Her diagnosis is high functioning autism and she also has hyper mobility syndrome, weak core muscles, poor co-ordination, flat feet and soiling issues. She is clever, loving (mostly) and beautiful and although life will be difficult for her I hope that with understanding and support she'll get along just fine.
So two children, with very similar problems, but I've approached them differently. I wish I could turn the clock back and change the way I reacted with my son. I realise now that autism is nothing to be ashamed or scared of. Both my children are adorable and I wouldn't have them any other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is for Special Saturday, an online ‘global’ campaign that aims to raise awareness of children and adults living with special needs.

Please join the cause by joining the facebook page -https://www.facebook.com/SpecialSaturdayhttps://www.facebook.com/SpecialSaturday

Follow on twitter - @Specialsat and retweeting hashtag - #specialsaturday

Read and follow the Special Saturday Blog -http://specialsaturday.org/home

No comments:

Post a Comment